
And He took the bread,
gave thanks and broke it,
and gave it to them, saying,
"This is My body which is given for you;
do this in remembrance of Me."
~ Luke 22:19
...his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man
and his form marred beyond human likeness...
~ Isaiah 52:14
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,
A broken and a contrite heart—
These, O God, You will not despise.
~ Psalm 51:17
You have fed them with the bread of tears,
And given them tears to drink in great measure.
~ Psalm 80:5
man learns wisdom through humility,
knowledge by forgetting,
how to speak by silence,
how to live by dying.
~ Johannes Tauler
Because we live in a fallen world, we will always encounter brokenness in many aspects of life.
This, of course, is not how God planned or intended it.
His original intention was peace and harmony, beauty and love.
Sickness...greed...fighting... were not part of His divine blueprint.
It was the Tree of Life that God planted in the middle of the garden.
Death was never in the picture.
But Adam and Eve rejected the tree of life, and chose instead to eat of the fruit of the other tree, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
Death entered our world.
However, in God's ultimate wisdom, what the enemy meant for evil God has turned around as an instrument for healing and restoration.
Jesus gave death a new meaning by experiencing it in order to redeem His fallen creation; He defeated it, and rose victorious from the grave.
Through the resurrection of Jesus, we know that death will not be around forever. There is a coming day when death will cease to hold such power to bring pain into our lives...and life will reign supreme...for all eternity!
I could never put into words all that is in my heart about this beautiful topic of death, brokenness, humility, disappointment, failure, and tears. A subject matter so profound deserves to be treated with honor and respect.
Indeed, brokenness is one important aspect of my life that I will always be thankful for.
Today I celebrate my 32nd wedding anniversary.
Because Ernie is no longer here on earth, there is no celebrating in the real sense of the word...nevertheless it is still a special day to remember.
Today I thank God for the thirty years of our lives that my husband and I spent together.
And I thank Him for these past sixteen months of my life without Ernie. During these months, I feel like I have grown so much...learned so much...realized so much!
There is nothing like going through grief..
We all experience pain in varying degrees...pain over disappointments, hurts, losses. Broken relationships, unmet expectations, injustice, the end of a dream.
But I must say that grief over the death of a loved one is the deepest of them all.
What amazes me is the realization that during these months that I have grieved, it seems that I have also received so much healing. How can it be... that in my grieving, I discovered a level of healing I never experienced before?
I've seen what it means to be lost, and yet feel secure in God's arms.
Have so many questions, and yet have peace as an anchor in my soul.
Many times felt like being on a dark, lonely road... yet I have seen the bright light, both at the end of it, and guiding my every step!
So much more...but they just can't be put into words.
I have never cried as much as I have this past year. And yet, in the shedding of the tears, God seemed to be washing over the broken, wounded places of my heart.
My grieving process has made me feel like I am a new person. Cleansed. Restored. Renewed.
How true.
Ken Gire, one of my favorite devotional authors, has this to say about tears:
In each tear is distilled something of eternity, something of love and compassion and tenderness, all things that originate in heaven and come to earth as a sacrament to the soul, if only I am willing to take and to eat.
The closest communion with God comes, I believe, through the sacrament of tears.
Just as grapes are crushed to make wine and grain to make bread, so the elements of this sacrament come from the crushing experiences of life.
So much is distilled in our tears, not the least of which is wisdom in living life.
From my own tears I have learned that if you follow your tears, you will find your heart.
If you find your heart, you will find what is dear to God, and if you find what is dear to God you will find the answer to how you should live your life.
From Windows to the Soul
In embracing my brokenness, facing the broken places of my life, I have become better able to understand the brokenness of other people...
helped me to be in touch with my own inadequacies, shortcomings, and failures...
and enabled me to be kinder, less demanding, more appreciative.
Admitting my own inabilities helps me to choose which battles are worth fighting, and to willingly put down my defensive weapons when needed.
As I remember the day I was married 32 years ago, and realize that my loving husband is no longer by my side, I cannot thank God enough for allowing me to go through the brokenness of grief.
Grief has been a patient, loving teacher, and a faithful healer as well.
An important part of my healing is being able to say that there is a time to mourn, and a time to laugh.
The intensity of grief lessens with each passing day although the lessons it has imparted to me are deep and long lasting. I can now detach myself from my grief, and look at it in a more objective way.
Indeed, one has to be well acquainted with grief to learn how to be detached from the desire for recognition or self-gratification, the longing to be esteemed or elevated in the eyes of men.
Jesus was said to be
A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.
And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him;
He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
Surely He has borne our griefs
And carried our sorrows;
Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
Smitten by God, and afflicted.
But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.
- Isaiah 53:3-5
It would do us well to consider these passages!
It was in the bruising, the wounding, the chastising...the acquaintance with grief...that Jesus purchased our peace and our healing!
Brokenness is the great equalizer. In the face of pain both the prince and the pauper stand as one.
It is also the best means by which our Creator sifts out the temporary from the eternal in our lives...
However, as in every lesson God wants to teach us, a right response is required.
Many spend their entire lives running away from pain, shielding themselves, or shrugging it off, pretending to be strong or unaffected. And pain leaves them untouched, and therefore, unchanged!
What a waste.
I truly believe that it is in the broken places of our lives that we recognize and identify with what Jesus went through...the disappointment, the desperation, the agony! And through our right responses to pain, we experience what someone called the "finding times of God."
Pain softens us, melts our tough exteriors, if we are willing. And the Father is able to redeem us from our intense preoccupation with self, and cause us instead to hunger for more of God, which is what truly matters!
A week before I left for Manila, the university headed by my sister in law gave a testimonial breakfast in honor of a very humble man.
Gen. Victor Ibrado is a Christian man who for nine months, was the chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, one of the top military positions in our country.
And yet, as we listened to the many tributes and testimonials given in his honor, on the occasion of his birthday and official retirement from his post, we couldn't help but shed tears at how humble this man had remained in spite of the power and prestige that came with his position.
He gave glory and honor to his God. In his response, Gen. Ibrado said that his stepping down from office is good for the country because it creates room for upward movement.
My heart was deeply touched that morning. Pondering on his simple statement led me to think: brokenness makes self willing to step down and create room in our hearts for upward movement!
taken during the testimonial breakfast in honor of him.
Humility in another person is such an endearing quality. Such gentleness, such grace!
Humility is the trademark of heaven.
Oh, how I pray for the humility of Jesus to be true in my daily walk!
I have often said that pride is the excess baggage that I have had to let go of at many stops in my journey... I need to constantly remember that dying to self is the sure path to humility.
Just this afternoon, I saw this article in one magazine I was reading, and found it worth sharing here:
Dying to Self...
...when you are forgotten,neglected, or deliberately ignored and you don't sting and hurt with the insult, but your heart is happy being counted worthy to suffer for Christ
...when people speak evil of your good, cross your desires, disregard your advice, ridicule your opinions and you refuse to let anger rise in your heart or even defend yourself, but take it all in patient, loving silence
...when you lovingly and patiently bear any disorder, any irregularity, any annoyance, and when you stand face to face with waste, folly, extravagance, spiritual insensitivity, and you endure it as Jesus endured
...when you are content with any food, any offering, any climate, any society, any clothing, any interruption by the will of God
...when you never care to refer to yourself in conversation or to record your own good words, or to have people take notice of what you say, or to itch after commendations, it is when you can truly love to be unknown
...when you receive correction and reproof from one of less stature than yourself and can humbly submit inwardly as well as outwardly, finding no rebellion or resentment rising up within your heart.
Are you a dead person?
In these last days, the Spirit would bring us to the cross, that we might utter with Paul, "I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death."
- Author unknown
Oh Father,
Indeed how beautiful is the body of Christ, broken for me, His blood spilled out... I cannot but help think of how much Your Son went through, gave up His life, just so "others may live."
May I not waste the sorrows and tears that have come my way. Rather, let me be drawn closer to Your heart because of my painful experiences.
Let the broken places of my life give me the desire to step down, and create room in my heart for You!
Thank You that I need not remain in the valley of tears, but experience Your joy as I see the transformation of my own heart before my very eyes -
that my healed wounds may enable me to be an agent of healing in the lives of others...
an agent of healing for the bride, especially as the day of Your Son's appearing draws near...
to the praise and glory of Your Name.
Read the Litany of Humility by Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val
35 comments:
There is always so much wisdom one gleans when they visit here. I respect and admore you for so many reasons-the main reason is because you bring such glory to God. You, like Paul have learned the secret to being content in all circumstances.
Happy Anniversary to you and Ernie. He may be with the Lord but it is still your Anniversary. Several years ago, our dear friends lost their son, daughter-in-law and only 2 grandchildren (at the time) in a horrible car accident. On Grandparent's Day, I sent them a card and told them that although Timmy and Todd were in heaven, that they were still grandparents. The only thing that had changed was the address.
Love, Connie
The idea of being broken to be healed isn't one I look forward to but I know it is a necessary part of growing in my faith. Thank you for your words today!
I continue to pray for the Lord to sustain you through your journey of grief.
AMEN..."what the enemy meant for evil, GOD meant for good." I must continue to cling to this passage! I am thankful HE puts the broken pieces back together again.
Hugs, love, and prayers, andrea
PS: I have missed you!
May the peace and comfortm of The Helper fill your soul my dear Lidj
Dear Lidj, reading of your tears and the beautiful description from "Windows" has given me a taste of my own tears this day.
I have learned and am learning so much from your love for God and your sweet brokenness.
Today, I will deeply ponder the thoughts of tears and how God uses them to cleanse and heal us, and I will dedicate some time to thinking about tears as a way of revealing our hearts and creating a path to our Father.
Thank you, dear, sweet friend for this post. It moved me very much.
Love,
Andrea
P.S. May the Lord continue to strenghten you and hold you in His arms as you remember your dear Ernie.
Ahh Lidj:
What a beautiful wording of this whole subject. I am always so moved by the heart that shines through your words. I especially like... Cleansed. Restored. Renewed. All is part of His process in us. I agree, there is so much that we learn in pain and grief that we never would know without it, and in all of it... He is using it to grow us and bring glory to Him.
Your words are a quiet treasure of depth and understanding.
Love,
Sonja
Thinking and praying for you as your anniversary comes again.
Your words of death, brokeness and the healing and growth that God gives are very touching. Thanks for sharing yourself again!
"Humility is the trademark of heaven." how very TRUE! Grief has a way of taking us deeper than we could ever go otherwise, I think. You have done an awesome work here at describing the work of Grace through grief.
One of my favorite quotes, speaks of grief as a healing avenue...
"weeping is a place of redemptive work that strength can never take you" ~ Bishop Joseph Garlington.
I've weeped so many tears from the death of my mama. But soooo much healing and grace has been poured back upon me in the grieving process. I don't think there is a more powerful tool to the center of a heart - than that of pure grief.
Your grief has given you a great testimony - even ministry. Maybe you'll find yourself in grief recovery ministry. The Lord has certainly gifted you with the ability to share your healing - in the midst of grief.
God continue to bless you, dear, as His instrument of healing.
I've joined your place tonight. I'll be back for more wisdom.
Patrina <")>><
His watchman on the wall
"In each tear is distilled something of eternity, something of love and compassion and tenderness, all things that originate in heaven and come to earth as a sacrament to the soul, if only I am willing to take and to eat."..
Wow, what a precious quote, Lidj. I have no words to share, but I just wanted to hold your hand and be silent with you as you remember your sweet Ernie. Love you, dear sweet Lidj..
Sita
May there be some "memory surprises" as you reflect on your years with Ernie on this special day of your wedding anniversary.
The quotations as well as your expressions of your personal grief experience are SO profound. They were not formulated quickly and they cannot be understood quickly. I would need to sit far longer than I am able this morning to even begin to grasp some of them.
And some - I'll have to wait until I experience my own, personal grief.
God bless you uniquely and wonderfully today! Here's an attempt at an impossible hug..()
I have copied this entire post. (I hope I can remember where I filed it when I need it!)
In my grieving, I discovered a level of healing I never experienced before
Dear One, I saw your comment over at Rebecca's blog this morning so I decided to come over and visit you. What a lovely blog you have! My daughter-in-law is from the Phillipines and so I felt a connection with you right away...I'm so sorry for your loss. May the dear Lord wrap his loving arms around you today in a very special way. I too will copy this very long post so that I can read it more contemplatively than I have time right now. You have many beautiful words here, and I'm glad I "found" you.
Beautiful words from such a beautiful person! I always enjoy reading your words - God has taught you so much through this painful journey you have had to face! Praise God that you are faithful to share what He is teaching you with others!
I am so sorry for this trial that you are facing! I can't begin to imagine the pain and sorrow you must go through on a daily basis! I pray that you continue to lean on the Lord and your friends - (and your cyber friends) to help you during times when you feel you cannot stand.
Thank you for your words of wisdom and for your strength! Your strength helps others to know that they TOO can be strong with God's help!
((Hugs)) and blessings to you,
Kymber
What a wonderful tribute to your husband, your marriage, and your faith this post is, Lidj! Thank you for sharing these beautiful reflections and insights, and for always sharing your heart and your soul.
I think when we are so grieving to the point of an almost broken heart and broken spirit, God gives us His special Protection, and He Engulfs us His Great Love to help us carry on and fulfill His plan for our lives. And good of you to respond to His Love and Kindness and in turn share it with others.
God Bless you, Lidj.
Love and Prayers,
Eileen
So much in this post spoke to my soul today and I will take the time in the next while to read more what appears to be a truly beautiful blog.
There is a lot of wisdom in what you wrote. You seem to have a loving, generous, humble, and faithful heart.
I am so sorry for the loss of your husband and hope this day holds beautiful memories for you.
Your words about humility really touched me. At the beginning of lent, I decided to pray and focus on being more humble...and I find it so unbelievably difficult. As for the litany of humility you referred to, what a coincidence, I have been praying that this lent as well but have to say that so much of it is beyond my level of understanding. It's very beautiful none the less.
Thank you for sharing your heart in this post. I will be back to read more.
Love, Colleen
Dear Lidj,
First of all my heart goes out to you. What you might not know is that the Lord allows us to grieve the MOST in the area which He wants to use us the MOST. Your pain and loss, will bring many to Him...for healing, for hope and for life eternally. I am thankful for the last five years of my life...Oh, yes. Being taught humility God's way is hard. But yes...the fruit of the righteous will be peace. How I am glad for the pain...even when I don't understand fully why it has to be this one and not any other.
In so many ways, I feel your pain...yes, because I have knew pain...maybe not in equal measure. I see the end of things is near..and the world is hurting. Christ has allowed us to hurt...so that we might receive the hurting world with humility and compassion. And I am glad for that. Thank you for such a hearty testimony.
With much love and prayers,
Gladwell
Lidj, your 'beauty from ashes' story brings tears to my eyes. To thank God for the brokenness, and praise Him in any situation takes true character and love. Thank you for showing us how a real woman of God should carry herself...along the footsteps of Jesus...
I'm going to say a special prayer for you today, that God will hold you so closely all day long, you will not feel the brokenness today, only the refreshing shower of love God is pouring over you...
Dear Lidj,
Feeling broken is the price we have to pay for having loved so highly and been so deeply blessed.
Just these days I have been aching over the loss of my beloved father and the four years he suffered before the Lord answered his prayers and took him home.
My Dad struggled heavy about this slow dying. When we prayed together, like we always did, either on the phone or home in his bed chamber, he would say, "It's not that I want to leave you, I could pray the Lord to fetch all of us, but I don't think that is right either."
Nevertheless I think I happily pay the daily price of sorrow, for having been blessed in so many years. There are wives and daughters who draw sighs of relief when their husbands and fathers die.
Imagine what prices they have paid.
And there are many who never found a man to love in this world. How gruesome that must be.
All our tears God has saved in his bottle. What a wonderful day when all our whys shall be answered.
From Felisol
Lidj, I can not even begin to explain to you how much this post has ministered to me. I had to stop reading a couple of times and digest. The Lord is revealing things to me in such a way that I feel my spirit jumping up and down and yet my mind is saying hold on, I still don't fully get it. and yet, I am recognizing the voice of the Spirit of God speak renewing my mind and thoughts to become agreeable with my spirit. He is doing a new thing in me and what you have written here today has helped to peak my understanding at His revelational direction in my life. Thank you for being so open and honest and sharing yourself so freely so that others, including myself, can be enlightened to such healing and restoration too.
Dear Lidj,
Praying for you on this beautiful and bittersweet day.
Like others who've commented already, your entire post touches me deeply. For a while, I really thought I was learning how to 'die' as unto the Lord. But due to some recent circumstances, and now, your beautiful and convicting post, the Lord is showing me tha I've still got far to go..
Your prater is so sincere, and I long to make it my own. Thank you for taking us deeper--with you.
How I wish we could meet, pray, and encourage one another face-to-face, but I'm thankful for the Spirit who unites in the Lord over time and miles.
Love in Him, Linda
PS. May I share the anonymous thoughts on brokenness on my blog? And eventually, I'd love to feature your blog, prayer and thoughts as well.
Always a giant spiritual learning experience visiting here. Your faith and walk with God ... brokenness .. healing ... a work in progress of His love for you .. thank you for sharing your experiences.
Such true wisdom here. "The closest communion with God comes, I believe, through the sacrament of tears." It is not on the mountaintops that I have fallen to my knees in humble search for God, but in the valleys when that search became an all-consuming passion. 32 years...our hearts were made for this long-lasting love, a love shown in our Saviour's love for us that spans all of time and eternity. Much love, Lidj.
Just what I need to read today, our last day of winter here, beautiful and true as always.
I don't know them personally Lidj. I go to St. Patrick's Church in Markham where I meet and greet many Filipino parishioners. If they attend the same church, I should have met them. Take care.
I've seen what it means to be lost, and yet feel secure in God's arms.
Beautifully said, Dear Friend!
Beautiful. Your faith inspires me!
Cory =)
The more I read about your Ernie the more I can see what a wonderful man you married. I am sorry he was taken from you so soon. The wisdom of your blog and your faithfulness to the Lord is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
Beautifully said, Lidj. I still have much dying to self to allow. Thank you for your insight!
Happy Anniversary friend.
Brokenness... ah... yea... I have in fact written about it on my blog as well. The beauty of brokenness brings the sweetness of His Spirit to reveal, heal, touch in the moments of grief.
I LOVE Ken Gire and "Windows of the Soul"... thanks for sharing this exerpt. Great to remember!
Have a beautiful day, friend!
Not wasting the pain and tears....as I read your blog, I am reminded of an acquaintance experiencing the first anniversary of the death of her only child. She is destitute, yet does not know the Lord like you can attest to. How your words bring Hope, that only He can in such pain.
Thank you for your pain that minsters to others!
"It was in the bruising, the wounding, the chastising...the acquaintance with grief...that Jesus purchased our peace and our healing!..." - it couldn't have been explained any better.
Paul who faced death numerous times was the same man, who remained joyful, praising God and still working for God despite being locked up in that cold, dark prison. No wonder, he could say, "Death, where is your sting?" for he knew that death was not the ending but just the beginning of an eternal life with the Lord.
There is no worst form of grieving that His love cannot soothe. And I pray your post will minister to many who had lost loved ones or facing death at this hour. Your words soothed my aching heart earlier [remembering my parents who had gone Home long ago]. Blessings to you sister and may the Lord protect you.
May there be many more "Gen.Ibrado" serving in the military there. True servant of God!
Happy Anniversary and glory to God that love does transcend.
dear crown of beauty..i don't even know what to say except that you are really on my heart!
Psalm 34:18
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.
Revelation 21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
love terry
There is so much here! It's like a rich dessert where you cannot digest it all at once but need to come back again and again.
First, Happy Anniversay! It is tough when your companion reaches the destintion before you do - and you must carry on, not give up and continue the journey until you are reunited!
Secondly, I understand grieving, where the Holy Spirit mourns through you. Someone called it trevail. I have cried deeper than my toes, while the Holy Spirit washed my soul clean of the grief andthe pain. It's a cleansing that looses the chains that keep you in bondage.
Thirdly, Dying to Self is not something I have done well with this year. These first 3 you mentioned (paragraphs)have repetitively buffetted me in the last 18 months. Being buffetted with hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt - and then I respond (mainly to my husband or a friend) - and then I journey to unconditional love and forgiveness. It is a season that I am ready to take a rest from. I'm tired of the pain, the hurts - However, I wish that when I forgive, when I try to put it behind me, I wish the knot in my heart would loosen and disappear.
I guess the lyrics to Jason Upton's song, "I will Wait" he says,
"There's a wall that stands in front of me
That I know I just can't climb
And like an eagle you will carry me
Its just a matter of the time"
http://www.lyricsdownload.com/jason-upton-i-will-wait-lyrics.html
I love how your posts allow me to recalibrate my spirit man. And it's a tweaking advice - not an overhaul approach that would overwhelm me. Just a sweet recalibration!
Bless you Lidj!
Maryleigh
God bless you Lidj. You are such a sweet, sweet soul. Thank you for always sharing your heart with us. I have not yet had to experience the heartbreaking grief of losing a loved one, at least not someone truly close to me. I lost all but one of my grandparents when I was really young so I have not had that experience yet. However, I HAVE dealt with incredible grief and brokenness in other ways and I honestly believe that it has made me a much stronger person and it has brought me much, much closer to the Lord.
I love the piece you included in your post entitled 'Dying To Self'. That is truly eye-opening and really makes you stop and think, doesn't it? I have copied it so I can read it again and again. I hope you don't mind.
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. You are such an amazing, strong woman! May our Lord continue to bless you as you pour your heart out to Him and to us here. You are truly an inspiration and encouragement to many.
Thanks, too, for continuing to visit me. I just love to read your comments when you stop by. They mean so much to me.
I hope you have a wonderfully blessed week!
{{HUGS}}
Teresa <><
Thank you friend for your comments left at my blog. Your words always bless me. How very cool that our journeys of the heart link... I am so blessed! So thankful that our hearts speak the same language!
Oh Lidj,
I'm left somewhat speechless and in tears as I listen to Twila Paris's song I once sang years before my chronic pain became a part of my life.
You touched on so many truths and I fully understand and live them with God's grace and hopefully, much humility. I love the General's comment: brokenness makes self willing to step down and create room in our hearts for upward movement!
I've often, almost daily, have had to get off my heart's throne and accept him as the center once again (realizing I thought He was already there but I supplanted him again with my will). It is painful and humbling because the lot he has chosen for me is one of suffering. It is here though that God gets so much glory. He shines in my weakness and in my brokenness.
I left you a long comment to your comment on my blog's latest post. I hope you've seen it.
I may need to print out this post of yours and take it to heart more in deeper meditation. Love to you!
What a coincidence, as I was reading this I remembered that it is actually the very first post of yours I ever read! It's beauty and depth are something to puzzle over and think on and it is what made me really want to come back to your beautiful blog again and again.
God bless you Lidj.
I really think you should compile your writings in a book.
Post a Comment